DO YOU NEED HELP? YOU ARE NOT ALONE
- Call 911 if you are in immediate danger!
- Call the House of Hopes Safeline for 24 hour assistance 417-399-6744.
- Talk to someone you trust about what is happening
- Make an emergency kit that includes money, medications, keys and important documents.
- Be sure to discuss safety with your children and how they can get help if violence occurs.
Providing victims with HOPE for a better tomorrow.
Polk County House of Hope provides immediate and long-term safety to victims of domestic and sexual violence and their children through a hotline, victim services, emergency shelter or placement in a safe facility, and connection to community resources. We work to prevent future violence through education, intervention, and advocacy at the individual, local, and state level.
Warning Signs of An Abusive Relationship
Does someone you love...
- Withhold approval or affection as punishment?
- Continually criticize you, call you names or shout at you?
- Ignore your feelings?
- Become very jealous or harass you about imagined affairs?
- Manipulate you with lies and contradictions?
- Insist you dress a certain way?
- Humiliate you in private or in public?
- Insult or drive away your family?
- Punch, slap, shove, bite, kick, strangle or hit you?
- Rape you or force you to participate in sexual activity which is unacceptable to you?
- Threaten to kidnap the children, commit suicide, or kill you or a family member if you leave?
If you answered "yes" even once, you may be in an abusive relationship.